Dr. Jon Walker of Bridgeport recently celebrated 25 years of service as a family medicine doctor.
Now there’s more to laud.
At its meeting Monday, the Wise Regional Health System Board of Directors recognized him as its new Chief Medical Officer.
In the new role, Walker will provide administrative support for medical staff leadership and be a resource to the medical staff and managers at the hospital for various projects or initiatives.
He will continue to work at his Bridgeport clinic two days a week, in addition to CMO duties and his duties as the Medical Director of Clinical Services for Wise Clinical Care Associates clinics.
NEW DOCTORS PRESENTED
Leon Fuqua, chief operating officer introduced Dr. Arsalla Islam of Texas Vascular Care.
Islam is a vascular, endovascular and bariatic surgeon. Her offices are on Heritage Trace Parkway in the Parkway hospital area in Fort Worth, and in Decatur.
She will provide services at both the Parkway Surgical & Cardiovascular hospital as well as Wise Regional’s main campus in Decatur.
Fuqua also mentioned that Dr. Ja’Near Anderson will provide primary care pediatric services at the new Clinical Care Pediatrics location in Bridgeport.
Anderson completed a fellowship in neonatology at the University of Texas Southwestern in Dallas and most recently worked as an attending physician for Newborn Intensive Care Specialist Group in Dallas.
IN OTHER NEWS
- Steve Summers, CEO, reported that the hospital has met to discuss a potential relationship with the Sava Senior Care organization involving their nursing homes located in Denton and Tarrant counties. Sava currently operates four homes. Administration will continue to review the possible relationship to make a recommendation at a future board meeting.
- It was reported that the Fit-N-Wise Fit Y.O.U.T.H (Youth Obtaining Ultimate and Total Health) initiative is actively working with local school districts to educate our youth on lifelong healthy habits. The program is funded through Wise Regional at no cost to the county’s school districts. The program director is Holly Berry, a former Paradise Elementary principal.
- Jim Eaton, chief financial officer, was recognized for his eight years of service at Wise Regional. Eaton will retire at the end of the month and will be succeeded by Todd Scroggins, Wise Regional’s administrative director of accounting services.
- Summers also mentioned that the new Air Evac facilities have been completed. There will be an open house at 4 p.m. Monday, Oct. 13.
- In the August 2014 financial report, Scroggins said the hospital had a decrease in net position of $1.5 million. The month of August saw an increase in inpatient admissions and a slight decrease in outpatient services including a decrease in outpatient surgeries. Factors affecting the negative financials in August included several surgeon vacations and an increase in uncollectible accounts.
- The governing board approved the recommendation from the building committee to extend a pool consultant contract with Counsilman-Hunsaker, Aquatics for Life for $75,000.
Following a closed session, the board approved several new appointments to the medical staff based on the recommendations of Wise Regional’s Medical Executive Committee.
The board accepted the medical staff’s reappointments and first-year reviews.
Medical staff recommendations for new appointments included the following practitioners:
- Scott Campbell, anesthesia;
- Jonathon DeVane, ER medicine;
- Jacquiline Emmons, pathology;
- Timothy Tye, anesthesia;
- Christopher Villarreal, ER medicine;
- Jason Willis, pathology; and
- Jocelyn Zee, family med/hospitalist/NIPA.
The board’s next meeting is 6 p.m. Monday, Oct. 27, at the Administration Board Room at 609 Medical Center Drive in Decatur.