Fire damages plane at Bridgeport Airport


After a short flight back from Decatur, Eddie Green had just landed and was taxiing to his hangar at Bridgeport Municipal Airport Saturday evening when the single engine to his Military T-41 sputtered and died. As Green tried to restart the engine, he noticed flames out the right window.
“It was short flight. I dropped some friends off and literally got off the runway and taxied to right here,” Green explained. “It started sputtering and the engine quit. I knew I had plenty of fuel, so I cranked it. When I cranked it, I looked out the right window and flames started coming out. I jumped out and grabbed a fire hose.”
Fire spread from the engine to the interior of the plane causing extensive damage.
Green, 68, of Bridgeport was uninjured. The retired Air Force and airline captain has owned the plane since 1995.
Bridgeport, Lake Bridgeport and Runaway Bay firefighters responded to the fire and extinguished it.

Print This Page Print This Page

Posted in Breaking News, Update0 Comments

Grassfire torches round bales


A grassfire that spread to burn 30 to 60 round hay bales closed Cuba Road east of Bridgeport Thursday afternoon.

Bridgeport and Paradise firefighters responded to the blaze shortly after 12:30 p.m.
Wise County Assistant Fire Marshal Jeff Doughty said a resident was burning trash when it spread, burning less an acre and the round bales.
The road was closed at County Road 3225 due to smoke blowing across the road.

Print This Page Print This Page

Posted in Breaking News, Update0 Comments

Fire tears through roof of home


Fire tore through the roof of a home in the 300 block of County Road 1331 between Bridgeport and Chico early Saturday morning.
Bridgeport, Decatur, Paradise and Lake Bridgeport firefighters battled the blaze in the bitter cold just west of Farm Road 1655.
The structure was fully involved when the first units from Bridgeport arrived.
“It was through the roof when we got here. It’d been going for a bit,” said Bridgeport Fire Chief Terry Long.
Firefighters were able to attack the fire from inside the home. Long said a lot of the contents in the home were going to be saved. Much of the home’s roof was destroyed by the blaze.
Kelli Weatherly, who has lived in the home for 14 years, made it out of the structure safely along with her sister.
“I was asleep and heard the smoke detector,” Weatherly said.
She did not know where or how the fire started. She said the heat in the home was stuck at 58, and she had a fire in the fireplace Friday evening.
Upon evacuating the home, Weatherly said she called for her dog, Ginger, who did not come. The dog was found and brought to safety by firefighters.

Print This Page Print This Page

Posted in Breaking News, Update0 Comments