UPDATE

Update for Wednesday, August 8, 2018


Share this page...

METH FORUM DRAWS CROWD – About 160 people attended Tuesday night’s community forum on methamphetamine held by Sheriff Lane Akin and the Wise County Community Health Initiative at the Women’s Building on the Wise County Fairgrounds. “It’s been heavy on my mind for many years,” he told the crowd. “Thirty-five years ago I was working undercover, and the way things have changed has impressed me mightily … it’s a battle we’re losing, and I want it to be a battle we’re winning.” Akin said 85 percent of the inmates are in the Wise County Jail for reasons directly or indirectly associated with meth. The meeting concluded with a question-and-answer session featuring Akin, County Attorney James Stainton, Assistant District Attorney Patrick Berry, Wise Health System Behavioral Health Director Melanie Whittle, WHS EAP Manager Megan Adams and WHS Director of Emergency Services Kellye Souther. Questions not answered due to time constraints will be answered on a soon-to-be available podcast. Read more about the forum in the weekend Messenger on newsstands Saturday.

INCREASING RAIN CHANCES – Today’s forecast includes a 40 percent chance of rain with a 60 percent chance of storms tonight. Remember, even if we do get rain, the county remains under a burn ban, meaning no outdoor burning is allowed. Today’s high temperature is expected to be near 96 with heat index values as high as 100. A cold front is expected to bring high temperatures down to around 90 for the rest of the week.

VOLLEYBALL SCORES – Yesterday’s volleyball results included the following: Decatur beat Lake Dallas 3-0 (25-18, 25-22, 25-18), Bridgeport beat Paradise 3-0 (26-24, 25-19, 25-13), Boyd beat Sanger 3-0 (25-18, 25-19, 25-11), Rio Vista beat Alvord 3-1 (25-20, 18-25. 21-25, 22-25) and Chico beat Forestburg 3-0.

BACK TO SCHOOL POOL PARTY – Bridgeport Parks and Recreation invites all 6th, 7th and 8th graders to the Middle School “Back to School” Pool Party at the city pool 5:30-7 p.m. Saturday. Advance tickets are $3 and $5 the day of the event. Purchase tickets at city hall. For more information call 940-683-3480.

YARD SALE – Pleasant Grove Baptist Church No. 2 will hold a yard sale starting at 8 a.m. Thursday and Friday at 550 S. Hitt St. in Boyd. The sale will benefit the new fellowship hall and classroom additions.

MOBILE MAMMOGRAPHY – Texas Health Resources is bringing the Mobile Mammography Unit to the Best Value Pharmacy, 400 S. Main St. in Rhome 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Friday, Aug. 17. Call 1-855-318-7696 to schedule an appointment. Bring your insurance card and drivers’ license (or state issued ID) to your appointment. If you do not have insurance, Susan G. Komen-North Texas will provide the mammogram for you. Walk-ins will be accepted, but appointments are recommended.

BACK TO SCHOOL – The midweek All Around Wise includes the Messenger’s annual back to school information to help you get ready for the upcoming school year.

FUNERALS – Service for Freddie Crawford Aucoin, 90, of Decatur is 10 a.m. Thursday at Hawkins Funeral Home Chapel in Decatur with burial at Alvord Cemetery. Family visitation is 6-8 tonight at the funeral home.

SERVICE for Jerry White, 75, of Decatur will be held at a later date. Hawkins-Decatur is handling arrangements.

SERVICE for Dnise Livengood, 63, of New York is pending at Hawkins Funeral Home in Bridgeport.

FUNERAL for Kristofer Price, 40, of Boyd is 11 a.m. today at Hawkins Funeral Home Chapel in Boyd with burial at Pleasant Grove Cemetery No. 1.

MEMORIAL for Ernest “Ernie” Parker, 54, of Rhome is 6:30 p.m. Friday at First Baptist Church in Boyd. Hawkins-Boyd is handling arrangements.

FUNERAL for Jack Jason Kennan, 41, of Newark is 2 p.m. Saturday at Hawkins Chapel in Boyd with burial at Aurora Cemetery. Family visitation is 6-8 p.m. Friday at the funeral home.

MEMORIAL service for Reinhard Warmuth, 58, of Alvord is pending at Jones Family Funeral Home in Decatur.

SERVICE for Ronald Solley, 65, of Bridgeport is 3 p.m. today at Jones Family Funeral Home in Bridgeport.

SERVICE for Mary Darilek, 84, of Bridgeport is pending at Jones-Bridgeport.

Print This Page Print This Page

Leave a Reply. Note: As of March 24, 2011, all posted comments will include the users full name.

WCMessenger.com News and Blog Comment Guidelines

You must be logged in to post a comment.