Northwest falls in 5A title game to Port Arthur

By Reece Waddell | Published Saturday, March 10, 2018.
Tags: , ,

Share this page...

As precious time ticked off the clock in the 5A state title game, the Northwest Texans frantically looked around the court wondering who should commit the intentional foul.

Photo by Stephen Spillman.

Avery Anderson had four fouls, as did Jordan Keys, Julien Smith and Darrell Simpson. Port Arthur had a 70-64 lead with under a minute left, and Northwest had to stop the clock to extend the game.

Realizing no one was going to foul, Anderson took matters into his own hands and literally took one for the team. With the Texans on the verge of defeat, Anderson sacrificed himself to give Northwest a chance — but it was for not.

The Texans came up one win shy of their first state title in school history, falling to Port Arthur 75-69 Saturday at the Alamodome. Northwest finished the season 34-6 and the 5A runner-up.

“I thought it was more of us running out of fouls than it was us running out of gas,” said Northwest coach Mike Hatch. “I thought our kids played their tails off. Getting into foul trouble caused us some problems. That’s where we lost some of our aggressiveness because we had some of our better offensive players sitting on the bench.”

Anderson and Keys picked up their fourth fouls midway through the third quarter, relegating them to the bench. With his teammates in foul trouble, senior Mason Hix did his best to shoulder the load offensively.

Photo by Stephen Spillman.

In his final high school game, Hix finished with a game-high 27 points, shooting 9-of-16 from the field. He also knocked down four 3-pointers.

“[Hix] hit about every shot he took, it seemed like,” Hatch said. “He was carrying us, for sure. He hit some big shots. I thought at both ends he rebounded well. I thought he played a heck of a game.”

Hix almost singlehandedly kept the Titans at bay in the third quarter, driving to the rim and hitting outside shots. Hix served as Northwest’s primary offensive threat with Anderson and others in foul trouble.

“[Foul trouble] was frustrating, but I just kept telling everyone to play hard, it’s not over,” Hix said. “Do what we do and fight back.”

Northwest led 50-45 going into the final frame — and that’s when Port Arthur’s Darion Chatman took the game over.

As Northwest did its best not to foul, Chatman started attacking. The 5A MVP finished with 17 points on 6-of-10 shooting, helping the Titans outscore the Texans 30-19 in the fourth quarter.

“In the fourth quarter we couldn’t stop [Chatman],” Hatch said. “We zoned him. We manned him. We tried to double him. He just wasn’t laying down. He kept hunkering down and coming at us. I thought he turned the game around himself. Obviously the foul trouble was a huge problem for us.”

The loss snapped the Texans’ 18-game winning streak dating back to December. Northwest will graduate Hix and Keys, who are both starters. Simpson will also graduate, as he served as the team’s sixth man most of the year.

“For sure [this loss is tougher than last year’s],” Anderson said. “ I just think we didn’t finish the game well. [Chatman] kept coming and it took our aggressiveness away with the foul situation.”

Leave a Reply. Note: As of March 24, 2011, all posted comments will include the users full name. News and Blog Comment Guidelines

You must be logged in to post a comment.