NEWS HEADLINES

Boyd ISD OKs SRO contract

By Richard Greene | Published Wednesday, April 11, 2018
Tags: , ,

Share this page...

Boyd schools will have an officer patrolling campuses next school year.

Boyd ISD trustees Monday approved a contract with the city of Boyd for a school resource officer (SRO). The Boyd City Council gave its consent on the pact last month.

“This provides a start in reaching the level of security we’re looking for,” said Boyd School Board President Bill Childress.

Boyd Police Chief Dwayne Taylor, who was at Monday’s meeting, said he will post the opening immediately.

“The next thing is trying to find someone,” Taylor said. “I’d love to have someone within 60 days. The main thing is to have them ready to start by the first day of school.”

The school will cover 75 percent of the salary and benefits for the officer. The city will pay the other 25 percent. The school will also pay for training, a cell phone and uniforms for the officer.

Boyd ISD Superintendent Ted West presented projected district costs of $50,895 for the 2018-19 school year. The city’s share would be $22,185.

The SRO would be an hourly employee, working 8.5-hour shifts. The district is projecting up to $2,835 in overtime costs. West said the district may have to provide compensation time off, if the SRO works several extracurricular events.

Childress said it’s a good deal for the district and city.

“It benefits us all. We need to do it without hurting one of the entities and get the presence out there,” he said.

Along with approving the SRO, the board received an initial report from West about security options, including adding fencing around the middle school campus and upgrading cameras throughout the district.

West told the board a guard shack that was at the football stadium has been placed at the entrance to the parking lot of the high school. He wants to get quotes for additional guard shacks at the middle and elementary schools.

The district estimates the cost for manning the three guard shacks at $75,000.

West said people entering a campus during school hours would have to check in at the guard shack and the person at the shack would radio the main office to make them aware of the person arriving.

Leave a Reply. Note: As of March 24, 2011, all posted comments will include the users full name.

WCMessenger.com News and Blog Comment Guidelines

You must be logged in to post a comment.