NEWS HEADLINES

Boyd High School manned guard shack extends security

By Richard Greene | Published Saturday, April 28, 2018
Tags: ,

Share this page...
Roadblock

ROADBLOCK – Boyd ISD recently placed a guard shack at the entrance to the parking lot of the high school. The district plans to place manned guard shacks at the other campuses. Messenger photo by Joe Duty

Visitors to Boyd High School are now required to stop at a checkpoint before entering the campus parking lot.

On April 17, the district started manning a guard shack recently moved to the front entrance off Knox Street. Through the first two weeks, Boyd ISD Superintendent Ted West said there’s been no issues.

“The main thing is when we have visitors for the office to know who is coming in before they are walking through the door,” West said. “It’s an extra layer of security that we can extend from our front door.”

The district is using a long-term substitute to man the shack currently and has purchased new radios for him to have contact with the office.

The guard shack is not in use during arrival and dismissal to prevent traffic jams entering and leaving the campus. The district has its other three entrances and exits into the campus open during those times. They are closed daily at 8:15 a.m. and remain closed until 3:15 p.m.

“During the school day, you must go through the one main entrance and the checkpoint,” West said.

The district is planning to install similar guard shacks at the intermediate/middle school campus, as well as the elementary.

At the April 17 Boyd City Council meeting, West approached the city about closing off Wilson Street and putting in a guard shack on Morton near the Boyd Community Center. The council was receptive to the school’s request and asked West to meet with Police Chief Dwayne Taylor and City Administrator Greg Arrington to come up with a plan that would also not restrict access to the community center during early voting.

“We can create procedures as we go,” West said.

The district and the city are currently interviewing school resource officers and plan to have an officer in place by the start of school in August. Boyd ISD trustees approved a contract with the city for an officer earlier this month. The school will cover 75 percent of the salary and benefits for the officer. The city will pay the other 25 percent. The school will also pay for training, a cell phone and uniforms for the officer.

The district’s costs are projected to be $50,895 for the 2018-19 school year. The city’s share would be $22,185.

West said the newly created safety and security advisory committee will meet the first week of May to begin looking at various measures that could be implemented in the district.

“I’m looking forward to getting the feedback,” West said. “We’ll look at what works best for Boyd ISD and best fits us. We want to do everything we can to keep everyone safe.”

Leave a Reply. Note: As of March 24, 2011, all posted comments will include the users full name.

WCMessenger.com News and Blog Comment Guidelines

You must be logged in to post a comment.