NEWS HEADLINES

Up in smoke: Heater likely cause of outbuilding blaze

By Richard Greene | Published Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Fire tore through an outbuilding behind a residence at 502 W. Brady St. in Decatur Saturday evening.

Decatur firefighters from three trucks and additional firefighters from Bridgeport limited the damage to just one of the two outbuildings behind the home and a vehicle parked inside it. They stopped the blaze before it could spread to the other building or engulf a large boat parked nearby. The boat suffered only minor damage.

Building Burns

BUILDING BURNS – Smoke billows from an outbuilding behind a Decatur home Saturday evening as a firefighter douses the flames. Messenger photo by Joe Duty

Decatur Fire Chief Mike Richardson said the fire was accidental.

“A propane or electric heater being used to warm up some upholstery glue may have caused it,” he said.

Firefighters were dispatched to the structure fire at 5:35 p.m. The building was fully engulfed when they arrived.

Richardson said an initial report indicated someone was inside the building, but everyone had been accounted for by the time the fire was extinguished.

The outbuilding was made of metal. Richardson said there were upholstery supplies and other combustible materials inside.

Firefighters remained on scene until 9 p.m. making sure the fire didn’t rekindle.

Leave a Reply. Note: As of March 24, 2011, all posted comments will include the users full name.

WCMessenger.com News and Blog Comment Guidelines

You must be logged in to post a comment.