Donna Walton leafed through the crisp pages of a photo album on the hood of a burned-out Volkswagen Beetle Wednesday – a day after fire destroyed a home on her family’s property.
The pages, burned around the edges, were among the few items her family had been able to salvage. Much of what was destroyed belonged to Walton’s grandmother.
“All of the sentimental stuff is gone,” she said. ” … We can replace the material things.”
Walton’s daughter, Shontel, had moved into the single-wide mobile home at 1931 CR 3855 south of Boonsville just a few days earlier. The home is one of three houses on the property, owned by Thomas Lackey.
Around 11 p.m. Tuesday, fire was reported in the home located at the back of the property. Everyone was able to safely exit.
Boonsville/Balsora, Bridgeport, Salt Creek and Poolville fire departments responded to the blaze and found the home fully engulfed in flames and threatening other vehicles and structures on the property. The home was a total loss.
Wise County Deputy Fire Marshal J.C. Travis said the fire is under investigation, but it appears to be accidental. He said it likely started from candles that were left unattended.
In addition to the house, the Volkswagon was destroyed and another vehicle and a car hauler trailer were damaged.
On Wednesday afternoon, Walton was still trying to process what had taken place right next door to where she lives.
“Watching a lot of years and memories go up in flames is not good,” she said before joining family members who were sifting through the remnants of the trailer.