A fire that started in a chicken coop tore through half of a trailer home at 308 Private Road 4433 early Sunday morning, leaving a cat and one of the five dogs in the residence dead.
East Wise, Rhome and Decatur firefighters contained the blaze to the left side of the trailer. It started around 3:30 a.m.
“Half of it is gone – the two rooms on [the left] end,” said East Wise Assistant Fire Chief Jim Blackney. “Decatur got here quick, and then Rhome, to help attack it.
“We attacked it from the outside initially and knocked it down. Decatur then went in the front.”
Homeowner Dennis Lack said his dogs woke him up.
“I had just gotten to sleep when a couple of the dogs woke me,” Lack said. “I could see flames out the kitchen window.”
Lack, who was the only person in the home, got out with four of the five dogs.
Lack has lived in the home a few miles off Farm Road 2264 near Oliver Creek for more than 14 years.
He believes the fire started in the chicken coop, located at the back of the home on the left side.
“I just finished redoing everything in the chicken coop,” Lack said.
Wise County Fire Marshal Chuck Beard agreed the fire started there.
“One of the two heat lamps in the coop became dislodged and fell into some hay in the coop and ignited,” Beard said. “There’s nothing suspicious. It was accidental.”
Beard added that the Red Cross was called in to provide assistance to the resident.