The Bridgeport ISD board of trustees approved a proposed district tax rate of $1.23280 per $100 valuation during its budget workshop meeting Monday.
The rate is composed of a $1.04 tax for maintenance and operations and a $0.1928 interest and sinking fund tax, which would be used to make payments on bonded debt for construction and equipment.
The proposed rate is lower than last year’s rate. The decrease comes in the interest and sinking fund tax, which was a fraction of a cent higher in 2013. The maintenance and operations tax is the same as last year’s.
A public meeting on the budget and proposed tax rate will be held Aug. 25.
Total revenue from federal, local and state funds is projected to be $18,128,925, while general expenditures are estimated at $18,604,246.
The board also:
- voted to raise teacher salaries by 2 percent,
- voted to allow Superintendent Eddie Bland to negotiate an energy contract with Cenergistic, designed to make all schools in the district more energy-efficient,
- approved revisions to District Policy EIC (Local), which will exclude grades from certain classes from being eligible to be considered in class rankings and will only affect students who became freshmen before the 2014-15 schol year,
- approved the Code of Conduct and handbooks, and
- voted to allow Bland to negotiate an employee resignation agreement for those who are resigning.
The next meeting is 7 p.m. Monday, Aug. 18.