NEWS HEADLINES

Alvord house saved, but pets lost in fire

By Brandon Evans | Published Saturday, February 8, 2014

Firefighters saved an Alvord home Wednesday morning, but two dogs were killed in the smoke and flames.

Room and Pets Destroyed

ROOM AND PETS DESTROYED – A house fire Wednesday morning in Alvord destroyed a room and killed two dogs trapped inside. The fire was started by a small gas heater. Firefighters were able to save the rest of the structure. Messenger photo by Joe Duty

The fire, which was reported at 6:30 a.m., was at a single-story, wood-frame home in the 400 block of West Elm. It started in the back room of the house where a small gas heater was being used to keep two family pets warm. The fire destroyed the room and killed the animals. The rest of the family escaped without injury.

Firefighters from Alvord, Chico and Decatur departments responded quickly and prevented the blaze from spreading to the rest of the home.

“They caught the fire early, and we were able to get here early and keep it from spreading to the attic or any other rooms,” said Alvord Fire Chief Sam Hahn.

The door being closed to the back room also helped contain the fire.

“A good prevention tip is to keep doors closed,” Hahn added. “It kept the fire from spreading to the rest of the house.”

Wise County medics and deputies with Wise County Sheriff’s Office also assisted at the scene as the morning temperature hovered at 20 degrees.

Red Cross was contacted to assist the family.

Leave a Reply. Note: As of March 24, 2011, all posted comments will include the users full name.

WCMessenger.com News and Blog Comment Guidelines

You must be logged in to post a comment.