A quick response by Newark and Rhome firefighters salvaged a home Saturday morning.
The two departments were dispatched to reports of smoke and flames coming though the roof of a home in the 100 block of County Road 4857 around 8 a.m.
Units that checked on scene within four minutes reported light smoke coming through the eaves and ridge row on the roof.
The fire, which started in the back wall of a room added to the mobile home, was contained to the wall and attic. Newark Fire Chief James Edgemon said he didn’t believe there was any fire or smoke damage to items in the room. There may have been a little bit of water damage, and structural damage was minimal.
“We had to go in and pull the sheetrock and ceiling where the fire started,” Edgemon said. “But nothing burned in the room. We know where it started, but we’re not sure what started it.”
Red Cross was dispatched to assist the home’s occupants, which included a middle-aged couple and a younger couple and their baby.