- WCMessenger.com - http://www.wcmessenger.com -

Fire damages Bridgeport home

Posted By Brandon Evans On December 10, 2013 @ 6:35 pm In Breaking News,Update | No Comments

A fire late Tuesday afternoon caused serious damage to a home located just west of Bridgeport. The fire was possibly caused by a faulty extension cord running from the home to a nearby well house. The home is located on County Road 3212, just south of Cuba Road. Firefighters from Bridgeport, Decatur and Paradise were called to the scene. Smoke billowed from the roof as the fire spread from a bedroom up to the attic. Firefighters climbed a ladder up to the ice-covered roof. They used a chainsaw to carve a hole into the roof so they could attack the flames in the attic. They contained the fire, but not before smoke damaged most, if not all, of the home. The wooden home was built in the 1930s. Michael Holmes lives in the house with his 72-year-old father. “I was trying to put the fire out , but the ceiling became as hot as a heater, and I threw up after breathing in the smoke,” Holmes said. “I hope I can save my clothes. I hope there is a place for us to sleep tonight. This is messed up. It’s only a couple weeks before Christmas.”

Bridgeport firefighters make access to an attic to attack a house fire Tuesday afternoon west of Bridgeport. Photo by Joe Duty.

Bridgeport firefighters make access to an attic to attack a house fire Tuesday afternoon west of Bridgeport. Photo by Joe Duty.

 


Article printed from WCMessenger.com: http://www.wcmessenger.com

URL to article: http://www.wcmessenger.com/2013/update/fire-damages-bridgeport-home/

Copyright © 2012 WCMessenger.com. All rights reserved.