Family of four loses all in fire

Share this page...


A mom and her three young children lost everything in a house fire in Chico late last night. Melanie Belcher and her three children escape without injury but their home located in the 300 block of N. Hovey Street was a total loss. The fire started about 11 p.m. after a candle was knocked over in the one of the bedrooms. “It was accidental,” said Wise County Fire Marshal Chuck Beard. “The (12-year-old) boy was asleep in his room when the fire started. His 8-year-old sister did an amazing job of waking him up and getting him out of the house safely.” Firefighters from Chico, Alvord and Bridgeport volunteer fire departments responded and kept the fire from spreading to nearby homes. The Red Cross provided the family, which includes a year old infant, a place to stay for the night. The family rented the home and did not have renter’s insurance. “It was unusually cold last night for this time of year, in the low 60s,” Beard added. “One of the volunteers had to wrap a blanket around the children to keep them warm.”

Print This Page Print This Page

2 Responses to “Family of four loses all in fire”

  1. Sarah Denney says:

    Is there a pick up spot or some sizes to help out people who would like to donate?

  2. Wendy Graham says:

    Thank you for your Question. I am the American Red Cross Disaster Action Team Captain for Wise and Northern Parker Counties. I can tell you that ARC has assisted them with Emergency Immediate needs, However you may contact me either on Facebook at Wendy Graham or at graham_wendy@ymail.com and I will be happy to assist getting the donated item to the family . I can not however release any further Information on the family until I can speak with the client.Thank you again for your compassion.


Leave a Reply. Note: As of March 24, 2011, all posted comments will include the users full name.

WCMessenger.com News and Blog Comment Guidelines

You must be logged in to post a comment.