- WCMessenger.com - http://www.wcmessenger.com -
Family loses home to fire
Posted By Kristen Tribe On September 2, 2013 @ 9:20 pm In Update | No Comments
Marcos and Porfiria Martinez of Decatur lost their home and all of their belongings in a fire that started around midnight Monday.
Kennedale Fire Marshal J.C. Travis, who was filling in for Wise County Fire Marshal Chuck Beard, declared the home on Private Road 4215 a total loss. The fire was caused by an electrical short.
“[The short] … may have been there since the trailer was made in 1985,” he said. “(The fire) started in the wiring in the wall. There were metal clips that held the wiring in place.”
Travis said the blaze traveled quickly up the walls of the mobile home and into the attic space.
“The home is a total loss,” he said. “Firefighters had to chase the fire across the attic space, so everything has fire, heat or water damage. The family is devastated.”
Marcos and Porfiria lived in the home with their two youngest children, a 14-year-old and 5-year-old, but no one was home when the fire started. Two animals were underneath the house, but they escaped safely.
In an earlier post, the Messenger reported that Marcos and Porfiria’s older son, Miguel Martinez, also lived at the home. In fact, he lives in Austin but was visiting this weekend. Their daughter Delia Martinez, who lives in Arlington, was also visiting her parents Sunday.
The American Red Cross was called to the scene to assist the family.
Article printed from WCMessenger.com: http://www.wcmessenger.com
URL to article: http://www.wcmessenger.com/2013/update/family-loses-home-to-fire/
Copyright © 2012 WCMessenger.com. All rights reserved.