Fire ravaged a single-wide trailer Saturday morning in Newark leaving a family homeless.
Wise County Fire Marshal Chuck Beard said the fire, in the 200 block of County Road 4877, is still under investigation, but there was nothing suspicious at the scene. A woman and teenage boy were at the home watching television when the fire started around 11:30 a.m., he said.
“They said they heard some popping and cracking on the front porch. They opened the front door, and the fire was outside,” he said.
Beard said the woman and teenager exited the house through a back door, but they were unable to save two dogs that were in the house. One escaped the blaze, but one was trapped inside and died.
Newark Fire Chief James Edgemon said the front porch “was almost gone when we got here.” He also said there were reports of oxygen tanks exploding as the fire spread, but if that occurred, it was before his crew arrived.
In addition to Newark, Rhome, Boyd and Tarrant County fire departments responded, along with Wise County medics. Red Cross was called to the scene to assist the family.
More information will be posted as it’s available.