- WCMessenger.com - http://www.wcmessenger.com -
Friday, February 8, 2013
Posted By Andrew May On February 8, 2013 @ 9:16 am In Update | No Comments
JURY SENTENCES TEEN TO 2 YEARS — After deliberating since 9:30 Wednesday morning, a jury in 271st District Court in Decatur returned a verdict of two years in the criminal negligent homicide case of Danny Nalley late yesterday. The jury had a range of punishment options including 180 days to two years in state jail or probation. The verdict was announced just after 5 p.m. Thursday. Nalley, 19, of Fort Worth was the driver in a fatal accident on Farm Road 730 north of Decatur two years ago that killed four teenage passengers. Nalley pleaded guilty on Tuesday and elected to have the jury assess his punishment.
DISTRICT CHAMPS — The Decatur seventh grade and eighth grade boys teams are district champions. Last night the seventh graders beat Gainesville 44-23 for the district title. The eighth grade also battled Gainesville in the championship and won 43-24. Decatur eighth grade girls will play Krum for the district title at 9 tomorrow morning at McCarroll Middle School.
GENEALOGY WORKSHOP — The Decatur Public Library will sponsor a free Genealogy Workshop, led by Patti Gillespie, beginning Feb. 14. The six-week class will meet on Thursdays, 1:30-3:30 p.m., in the Library Meeting Room. Sessions will focus on how to do basic research to learn about family history. Space is limited, so go by the library or call (940) 393-0290 to sign up.
YOUTH FAIR ENTRY CLINIC — Wise County Youth Fair Entry Clinic will be 9 a.m.-noon Saturday at the Decatur Ag Science building. Help will be available. Wise County Youth Fair entries are due by 5 p.m. Saturday.
MAMMOGRAM SCREENING — The Weatherford College Wise County Campus will host the Moncrief Mobile Mammography Unit Monday, Feb. 18. Insurance is accepted, but low- and no-cost screenings are also available. Women interested in participating can call 800-405-7739 for more information or to make an appointment.
ANIMAL SHELTER BENEFIT — Eat at Chili’s in Decatur Saturday and mention the Wise County Animal Shelter and 10 percent of your bill will be donated to the shelter.
BLOOD DRIVE — Carter BloodCare will hold a blood drive 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. today at Wal-Mart in Decatur. The drive is sponsored by the Decatur Rotary Club.
BYA SIGN-UPS — Sign-ups for Bridgeport Youth Association spring sports including baseball, softball and soccer are 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturdays, Feb. 9, 16 and 23, at the community center. For more information, including fees, visit www.bridgeportyouthassoc.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
CHAMBER BANQUET — The 2013 Bridgeport Chamber of Commerce banquet is Saturday at the Decatur Civic Center. Networking starts at 6 p.m., and dinner is at 6:30. There will be casino games, a live auction, raffles and awards. Cost is $35 per ticket or $325 for a table of 10. Call (940) 683-2076 to make your reservation. Dress is “Bridgeport style.” Theme is “Shake, Rattle and Roll with the Bridgeport Chamber … at Casino Night.”
BAKE SALE — A bake sale at 9 a.m. today at North Texas Bank in Decatur will benefit “Friends” Relay for Life team, which is raising money for the American Cancer Society. The sale is in memory of team captain Katie Stevens who died Sunday.
SOCCER REGISTRATION — The Decatur Soccer Association will have registration 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday at Hibbett Sports in Decatur.
SINGLES MEETING — The North Texas Singles Club will hold an open meeting 6 p.m. Saturday at Dos Chiles in Bridgeport.
WEEKEND RAIN CHANCES — The National Weather Service is calling for a 20 percent chance of rain showers during the day Saturday, and the chances increase to 80 percent Saturday night.
MEET THE PRIEST — Ascension & St. Mark Episcopal Church invites the public to “Meet the Priest” to welcome Fr. Keith Roberson at the 10:30 a.m. service Sunday. Light refreshments will be served and a time of fellowship will be held following the service. The church is located at 5094 U.S. 380 near Bridgeport.
FUNERALS — Service for Toby Joe Baker, 39, of Boyd is 2 p.m. Saturday at the First Baptist Church in Boyd with burial at Boyd Cemetery. Family visitation is 6-8 tonight at Christian-Hawkins Funeral Home in Boyd and 10 a.m.-noon Saturday at the church.
SERVICE for Ronald Rebstock, 50, of Decatur is pending at Coker-Hawkins Funeral Home in Decatur.
MEMORIAL service for Dona Lester, 59, of Boyd is 3 p.m. Saturday at Hilltop Assembly of God Church in Boyd. Alexander’s Midway Funeral Home in Springtown is handling arrangements.
Article printed from WCMessenger.com: http://www.wcmessenger.com
URL to article: http://www.wcmessenger.com/2013/update/59100/
Copyright © 2012 WCMessenger.com. All rights reserved.