1. Treat every gun with the respect due a loaded gun. This is the cardinal rule of gun safety.
2. Guns carried into camp or home must always be unloaded, taken down or have actions open; guns should always be encased until reaching the shooting area.
3. Always be sure that the barrel and action are clear of obstructions. Carry the correct ammunition only.
4. Always carry your gun so that you can control the direction of the muzzle, even if you stumble. Keep the safety on until you are ready to shoot.
5. Be sure of your target before you pull the trigger. Know how to identify game animals.
6. Never point a gun at anything you do not want to shoot. Avoid all horseplay with guns.
7. Unattended guns should be unloaded; guns and ammunition should be stored safely beyond reach of children and careless adults.
8. Never climb a tree or a fence or jump a ditch with a loaded gun.
9. Never shoot at a flat, hard surface such as the surface of water. Be sure of your backstop.
10. Avoid alcohol or drugs before or while hunting.