In addition to vendor booths, entertainment and stagecoach rides, Saturday’s Butterfield Stage Days festival in Bridgeport buzzed with friendly competition.
The day started with a 5K race and continued with a stick-horse rodeo sponsored by Bridgeport Main Street and the mainstay Bridgeport Idol. Food contests bookended the day with the Battle of the Boot Pancake Eating contest in the morning and the Smokin’ Good Time Rib Cook-Off in the afternoon.
RODEO PINK 5K
More than 60 runners laced up to participate in the first-ever Rodeo Pink 5K Run/Walk, held in conjunction with the festival.
The top two finishers in each age category, who each received medals, are as follows:
- 13 and Under – Tallon Miller, 23.53; Parker Emola, 40.31
- 14-19 – Colten Klyce 22.34; Jennifer Smith, 28:46
- 20-29 – Lupe Vasquez, 27:58; Kristi Hicks 33:22
- 30-39 – Shayne Hardin, 27:03; Chris Hicks, 33:22
- 40 and Over – Darla Hakanson, 29:02; Candy Burden, 29:50.
The event benefitted Rodeo Pink, an effort that’s been around for seven years to advocate breast cancer awareness and education in Wise County.
STICK HORSE RODEO
Young cowboys and cowgirls age 6 and younger saddled up their lucky toy to participate in the Butterfield Stage Days Stick Horse Rodeo. The winners of each of event were:
- Barrell Racing – 1. Ty Stachowiak, Perrin; 2. Kaylee Smith, Paradise; 2. Collin Mann, Bridgeport
- Bronc Bustin’ – 1. Ty Stachowiak, Perrin; 2. Jayden Stachowiak, Perrin; 3. Nolan Mann, Bridgeport
- Best Dressed Boy – 1. Jerry Williams, Bridgeport; 2. Ty Stachowiak, Perrin; 3. Cayne Blessing, Paradise
- Best Dressed Girl – 1. Everleigh Privett, Bridgeport; 2. Jayden Stachowiak, Perrin; 3. Addilynn Cowling, Paradise
Organizer Amber Fogelman, Bridgeport Main Street manager, noted that the youngest participant was 16 months, and there was one 6-year-old. She added that several kids participate annually until they are too old, so organizers are looking at increasing the age limit next year and expanding the event to two categories – 0 to 4 and 5 to 8.
Bridgeport 4-H members volunteer at the free event, and the Brogan family of Brody, Brenley, Stacy and John, entertain as rodeo clowns.
The winners of other competitions were:
- Bridgeport Idol – Katie Grace Henderson (junior); Stevi Perkins (senior)
- Open Pancake Eating Contest – 1. Stephen Phillips; 2. Justin Massey
- Battle of the Boot Pancake Eating Contest – Bridgeport Fire Department
- Smokin’ Good Time Rib Cook-Off – 1. Kat Daddy Cookers (Randy Burkhart); 2. Swine Dynasty (Jeff Williams, Mike Hurd and Colby Shawn); 3. D Block Cookers (Chad Trulson)
- Smokin’ Good Time Rib Cook-Off People’s Choice – Billy Licous (Brant Hawkins)