As threatening weather continues to rake across Texas, Oklahoma and the midwest, here are some basic tips for surviving a killer storm.
Tornadoes can strike instantly and without much warning. These basic tornado safety tips will help you find the best location to shelter during a storm:
- Retreat to the lowest possible level of a building or structure, such as the first floor, basement or storm cellar
- Find an interior room with no windows, such as a closet or bathroom
- Get underneath a sturdy piece of furniture and cover neck and head
- Avoid areas with wide-span roofs, such as cafeterias, gymnasiums and shopping malls
- Mobile homes are not safe shelters; you should make plans before the storm arrives to get to a pre-planned shelter
- Apartment dwellers should have a plan in place to get to an apartment on the lowest level of the complex. Contact your leasing office.
- Do not attempt to outrun a tornado in your automobile; seek shelter inside a nearby building.
- If stranded outside, lie down in a ditch or low lying area away from the vehicle, but remain aware of possible flash flooding
- Do not seek shelter underneath a bridge or overpass.