Although located in Denton and Tarrant counties, Northwest ISD’s two newest facilities will be named in memory of district pioneers with Wise County ties.
Eaton High School will be located at Willow Springs and Blue Mound roads, just off of U.S. 287 in far north Fort Worth. It will neighbor Schluter Elementary and the future site of middle school No. 6.
Cox Elementary School will be built on Litsey Road in the Fairways Ranch housing development in Roanoke.
Eaton was instrumental in consolidating the Rhome, Justin, Haslet and Roanoke districts to form Northwest ISD in 1949. Eaton’s son, Roy, is publisher of the Wise County Messenger .
Cox, who served as superintendent and vocational agriculture teacher at Alvord before a 21-year career with Northwest schools, was the grandfather of Penni Green and Dwayne Hicks of Decatur and Scotti Lott of Bridgeport.
Read more about the contributions of the school’s namesakes in this weekend’s edition of the Messenger.