The Decatur ISD administration building project took another step toward completion Monday.
The school board awarded a bid to FX5 Construction of Decatur to build a parking area south of the Support Services building, north of the current administration building. The new parking area is expected to include 34 new parking spots which are needed to meet the city’s parking requirements.
The board approved spending up to $66,000 on the project, which is expected to begin around Oct. 28 and take 45 to 60 days to be completed. FX5, which has worked on projects for the school district previously, presented the low bid on the project.
Another area west of the parking lot approved Monday has also recently been turned into parking spaces for the administration building. Other areas, including the parking area directly to the east of the new administration building, will be re-striped.
Renovation work on the nearly 75-year-old building, located near the corner of South Cates and East Ward streets, continues on schedule, Superintendent Rod Townsend said. The project is expected to be completed by December.
The school board also nominated board member Alan White to serve on the Wise County Appraisal District board of directors, and they cast all 1,129 of their votes for White. Former board member Joey Luttrull had previously served on the appraisal board of directors, but he recently moved out of the district and was no longer eligible to serve.
In other business the board:
- heard a report on increased lunches and breakfasts being sold, particularly at the middle school and high school.
- learned that the district saved approximately $105,225.77 from using the Region 11 Education Service Center. The number is figured by taking the cost of services the service center provides and comparing it with the cost of using the private sector to get the same services.
- honored the school’s principals as part of Principal Appreciation Month.
- honored Rann Elementary teacher Holly McNiel as educator of the month.
- honored Carson Elementary technology teacher Lisa Hicks as support staff employee of the month.
- recognized students in the high school’s career and technology department.