A 12-year-old boy remains in good condition at Parkland Hospital in Dallas despite serious burns sustained in a flash fire early Wednesday morning.
The boy, Damen, of Newark, received third-degree burns to his arms and second-degree burns to his face and legs. He and his friends, Richard and Lela, were playing with an aerosol can and cigarette lighter at a home in the 100 block of County Road 4858 in Newark when the can ruptured, causing a flash fire.
Officials on scene said the boy may have also been flown as a precaution due to smoke and fumes he may have inhaled.
A family friend said Damen will have to have a skin graft on his arm and will undergo three weeks of rehab.
The other two victims, both 12 years old and residents of Newark, were transported to area hospitals where they were treated and released.
Richard was treated for second-degree burns to his legs and toes at Parkland. He was released around 8 a.m. Wednesday morning.
Lela was taken by ground ambulance to Wise Regional Health System in Decatur and treated for first-degree burns to her right arm and face.
“They’re all going to be OK,” said Cindy Radford, Richard’s mother. “I thank the Lord he let us all keep our kids. Everything is on the up now.”
Initially, Newark Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched to a medical call around 1:45 a.m. Dispatchers later deemed the call a confirmed structure fire after a corner of the bed caught fire. But when units arrived on the scene minutes later, the fire had been extinguished by an adult male in the home.