Fire wipes out home

By Brian Knox | Published Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Share this page...

A home to a family of five near Boonsville was heavily damaged by fire Sunday evening.

Boonsville, Salt Creek, Bridgeport and Poolville fire departments responded around 6:30 p.m. after a neighbor called in a report of a fire across the street. Firefighters found a double wide mobile home in the 3400 block of County Road 3655 approximately a mile east of Boonsville in flames.


EXTINGUISHED – Firefighters work to put out the last of the hot spots at a house fire near Boonsville Sunday. They were able to salvage many of the family’s personal belongings. Messenger photo by Joe Duty

“The fire departments did an outstanding job containing the fire, but it was still pretty much a total loss on the interior,” Wise County Fire Marshal Chuck Beard said.

The home’s owners, Jamie and Shawna Marlett, and their three young children were not at home at the time of the fire and were not injured. Initially, there was concern a pet might have died in the fire, but Beard said Tuesday that all pets had been accounted for.

Firefighters were also able to salvage several personal items from inside the home.

The American Red Cross responded to help the family, and the Marletts were able to stay with a family member who lived nearby.

Beard said the cause of the fire was electrical in nature.

“It was probably the AC unit in the window,” he said.

The home was insured, Beard said.

Leave a Reply. Note: As of March 24, 2011, all posted comments will include the users full name. News and Blog Comment Guidelines

You must be logged in to post a comment.