NEWS HEADLINES

Fire temporarily displaces family

By Erika Pedroza | Published Wednesday, November 20, 2013

A Cottondale family has been temporarily displaced after fire ravaged part of their mobile home Monday afternoon.

Action by the homeowner, who hosed down the fire from the outside, and a quick response from the Cottondale, Paradise and Springtown fire departments contained the fire to a middle bedroom. But Wise County Deputy Fire Marshal J.C. Travis said the home wasn’t inhabitable because of smoke damage.

Home Saved

HOME SAVED – Quick action by Cottondale, Paradise and Springtown fire departments contained a mobile home fire to one room Monday afternoon. Messenger photo by Joe Duty

He added electricity could not be turned on for the home until it was cut from the room where the fire started.

The fire in the 1500 block of County Road 3791, south of Cottondale, was reported around 5 p.m. by a child, who was inside the house when it started. The homeowner, Alan Weaver, said he had stepped outside and his three grandsons – ages 11, 8 and 5 – were inside playing video games when the smoke alarms started going off.

Weaver opened the door to the bedroom to find it filled with smoke.

According to Travis, the fire started in an outlet that a fan and cell phone charger were plugged into. The plugs were sandwiched against the wall by a mattress and box spring.

Travis believes one of the two items failed, causing the mattress to smolder for about an hour before it burst into flames.

“All that physically burned was the mattress,” Travis said. “But there was some radiating heat damage to adjacent rooms and smoke damage throughout the house.”

The boys ran outside and called for help as their grandfather attempted to hose the fire down. The first units to check on scene reported smoke from the rear of the mobile home. The fire was quickly contained, and all that burned was the middle bedroom.

Red Cross was dispatched to assist the family living in the home, which includes Weaver, his wife, Petra, his stepson and three grandsons. There were no injuries.

Leave a Reply. Note: As of March 24, 2011, all posted comments will include the users full name.

WCMessenger.com News and Blog Comment Guidelines

You must be logged in to post a comment.