NEWS HEADLINES

Fire devours home

By Kristen Tribe | Published Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Joe and Debra Garcia of Newark had just left for Fort Worth when their single-wide trailer was destroyed by fire Saturday morning.

The home in the 200 block of County Road 4877 was devoured by a blaze that started on the front porch about 11:30 a.m., according to County Fire Marshal Chuck Beard.

Total Loss

TOTAL LOSS – Tarrant County firefighters douse hot spots on a burned trailer home in Newark Saturday. Newark Fire Chief James Edgemon said the front porch was “almost gone” when they arrived, but his crew put the fire out and kept it from spreading to neighboring trailers. Messenger photo by Kristen Tribe

Although the Garcias had just left, Debra’s sister, Teresa Huckabee, and her teenage son, Hunter Huckabee, were at the house when the fire started. They were watching television and “heard some popping and cracking on the front porch. They opened the door, and the fire was outside,” said Beard.

Initial reports indicated oxygen bottles in the home were exploding as the fire spread, but Beard said he did not find evidence of that.

Teresa and Hunter exited the house through a back door and were not injured. There were two dogs inside the home, one of which perished in the blaze.

Red Cross was called to the scene to meet the needs of the family. Hunter lived in the trailer with the Garcias, and his mother lived in a trailer behind them, which was not damaged. The trailer homes on either side of the burned structure are also occupied by relatives.

Newark, Rhome, Boyd and Tarrant County fire departments responded to the fire, as well as Wise County medics. The fire was declared accidental by Beard.

Leave a Reply. Note: As of March 24, 2011, all posted comments will include the users full name.

WCMessenger.com News and Blog Comment Guidelines

You must be logged in to post a comment.