A Boyd family lost their home to a fire Tuesday night after an electrical malfunction.
Thirty firefighters from four departments battled the blaze at 418 CR 4599, but Fire Marshal Chuck Beard said it was a total loss.
The homeowner, Donnie Johnson, told Beard there had been electrical work done on the home in the last week.
Jimmy and Tammy Wages lived in the single-story, brick structure with their three children, ages 6, 5 and 3. Jimmy’s sister, Lisa Fourd, also lived in the home.
“I’d only been here a couple of weeks,” she said, clearly shaken. “I came down here to help my brother with his kids. His wife is sick.”
Fourd said her sister-in-law suffers from seizures and can’t stay alone with the children. Jimmy works in the oilfield and is gone for several days at a time.
“We had gone to Denton to pick up his check, and when we came home, the back of the house was on fire,” she said.
Initial reports on the police scanner indicated there might be children inside the home, but as it turns out, there were only pets inside. Jimmy ran into the burning house to rescue the dogs and then tried to put the fire out with a water hose. He suffered smoke inhalation and was transported to Wise Regional Health System in Decatur where he was treated and released later that night.
A miniature horse and a donkey grazing next to the house were unharmed.
Boyd, Paradise, Rhome and Cottondale fire departments worked to extinguish the fire, and Beard, along with Assistant Fire Marshal J.C. Travis, investigated the incident.
American Red Cross was called to the scene to assist the family.