NEWS HEADLINES

Family loses home to blaze

By Kristen Tribe | Published Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Marcos and Porfiria Martinez of Decatur lost their home and all of their belongings in a fire that started around midnight Monday.

Kennedale Fire Marshal J.C. Travis declared the double-wide mobile home on Private Road 4215 a total loss. Travis, who was filling in for Wise County Fire Marshal Chuck Beard, said the fire started with an electrical short.

Blaze Destroys Home

BLAZE DESTROYS HOME – Firefighters from four local departments battle a house fire on Private Road 4215 just after midnight on Labor Day. Messenger photo by Joe Duty

“[The short] … may have been there since the trailer was made in 1985,” he said. “(The fire) started in the wiring in the wall. There were metal clips that held the wiring in place.”

Travis said the blaze traveled quickly up the walls of the mobile home and into the attic space. Most of the roof caved in.

“The home is a total loss,” he said. “Firefighters had to chase the fire across the attic space, so everything has fire, heat or water damage. The family is devastated.”

Marcos and Porfiria had lived in the house southeast of Decatur for 15 years. Their two youngest children – a 14-year-old and 5-year-old – lived with them, but no one was home when the fire started. Two animals were underneath the house, but they escaped safely.

The couple’s grown children, Miguel Martinez of Austin and Delia Martinez of Arlington, were in town visiting their parents for the weekend.

The American Red Cross was called to the scene to assist the family.

Decatur, Rhome, Newark and East Wise fire departments were called to the blaze.

Leave a Reply. Note: As of March 24, 2011, all posted comments will include the users full name.

WCMessenger.com News and Blog Comment Guidelines

You must be logged in to post a comment.