NEWS HEADLINES

Electrical fire damages home

By Brian Knox | Published Wednesday, November 6, 2013

A family of three was displaced from their home following a fire early Saturday morning near Rhome.

Four departments responded to a report of fire in the 300 block of Private Road 4732, in the Diamond Ridge subdivision north of Rhome. The Rhome Volunteer Fire Department received the call around 12:15 a.m.

Quick Response

QUICK RESPONSE – Firefighters were able to quickly contain a house fire early Saturday morning near Rhome. Messenger photo by Brian Knox

When they arrived, they could see flames in a front room and heavy smoke coming from the front door of the double-wide mobile home. East Wise, Newark and Justin fire departments were called to assist, and the blaze was extinguished shortly after 1 a.m. Wise County medics also responded.

Firefighters were able to quickly knock down the flames and contain the fire to a bedroom but not before it caused approximately $45,000 worth of damage to the home, according to Wise County Deputy Fire Marshal J.C. Travis.

Travis said after talking to the home’s occupants, he determined that the cause of the fire was electrical. The family had trouble with some of their outlets, so they were running a space heater and a couple of other appliances off of an extension cord connected to a power strip, which was under a pile of laundry.

Luckily the home’s occupants – Caudis Tennyson III; his wife, Samantha; and their daughter, Ranell – woke up and were able to get out of the house. Travis said smoke detectors did activate.

Red Cross was called to the scene to assist the family.

Leave a Reply. Note: As of March 24, 2011, all posted comments will include the users full name.

WCMessenger.com News and Blog Comment Guidelines

You must be logged in to post a comment.