Student journalists from Decatur High School grabbed a pair of Stars and more than four dozen individual awards at the state journalism conference last weekend.
Entries from this school year’s print and digital newspapers along with last school year’s yearbook, “The Crag” were honored at the Interscholastic League Press Conference at the University of Texas at Austin.
“This is one of our largest, if not the largest year for ILPC awards at DHS,” said adviser Cindy Berry.
The Journal’s online newspaper, under the leadership of editor Madeline Pe a, was one of only two in the state, across all classifications, to earn a Silver Star. Only three other schools earned a Gold, placing the DHS publication in the top 5 online publications across the state.
The print newspaper, under the leadership of editor Cristin Morgan, earned a Bronze Star award. This places the print paper in the top 31 schools in all classifications.
Morgan received the Jostens Journalism Scholarship, given to only one student in the state.
The 44 individual awards include:
- Remington May – general interest spread, 2nd; sports spread, 3rd.
- Cole Wendling – club/organization spread, 2nd; sports spread, honorable mention.
- Madeline Pena – academic feature story, 2nd.
- Arin Blaylock and Andrea Rivera – theme selection and development, 3rd.
- Allie Davis – sports feature photo, honorable mention.
- Cristin Morgan – feature/entertainment page design, 1st; editorial writing, honorable mention; Page 1 design, honorable mention.
- Macen Stripling – entertainment feature, 1st.
- Allie Davis – portrait, 1st; photo story, 3rd; general news photo, 3rd.
- Michaela Cross – feature/entertainment design, 1st.
- Austin Lamirand – sports feature photo, 1st.
- Jackie Trujillo – entertainment review, 2nd; entertainment feature, 2nd; personal opinion column, honorable mention.
- Madeline Pena – sports page design, 2nd and honorable mention; news feature, honorable mention.
- Macky Dailey – entertainment feature, 2nd; cartoon, honorable mention.
- Nancy Torres – news feature, honorable mention.
- Angelica Lopez – personal column, honorable mention.
- Madeline Pena – news feature, 1st; entertainment feature, 1st; home page design, 1st; personal opinion column, 2nd.
- Allie Davis – feature photo, 1st and 2nd; portrait, 1st; sports action photo, 2nd.
- Jackie Trujillo – personal opinion column, 1st.
- Hutch Cheyne – sports column, 1st.
- McKena Waddill – home page design, 1st.
- Mickey Drewry – editorial writing, 1st.
- Macen Stripling – sports feature, 3rd.
- Cristin Morgan – feature writing, 3rd.
- Michaela Cross – news writing, 3rd.
- Logan Huff – sports feature and sports action, honorable mentions.
The wins propelled four students to a place on the UIL All-State Journalism Staff – Pena, Morgan and Walther, for the second straight year, and Allie Davis (Hammonds).