Wise County commissioners made quick work of a standard agenda at Monday’s regular meeting.
The biggest issue discussed was the Sheriff’s Posse expired lease of the local fairgrounds. Precinct 2 Commissioner Kevin Burns reported on the most recent meeting with Posse representatives, and commissioners approved putting the issue on the Oct. 28 agenda.
In other business, commissioners tabled naming nominees for the Wise County Appraisal District Board. Burns suggested waiting because the deadline is not until Oct. 15, and commissioners will meet again Oct. 14. He said sometimes all the nominees happen to be from one area of the county and by waiting they can help ensure more equal representation.
“If we’re nominating on the 14th,” he said, “we can wait til then and see who’s been nominated. We can either put our votes toward one of them or put all our votes toward someone else to help spread out the representation.”
Sheriff David Walker reported that progress is being made on the new radio system. Radio frequencies still need to be assigned, and they reprogramming a repeater at East Wise Fire Department.
He said EF Johnson has been paid, and all the tower work is complete. The new equipment for dispatch will be installed after remodeling of the 911 center is complete. The remodel is scheduled to be finished later this week, and radio equipment should be installed in November.
In related business, commissioners approved the purchase of Xybix furniture to be installed as part of the 911 center remodel. It cost $70,498.25, but the county was reimbursed for that by North Central Texas Council of Goverments (NCTCOG).
Commissioners tabled adding the Wise County Animal Shelter to the jury cards as an option of where to donate juror fees until the issue can be further researched. The decision was made at the recommendation of District Clerk Brenda Rowe.
Jurors currently have three options of where to donate juror fees, if they choose: the Victims of Crime Fund, Wise County Child Welfare Board and Wise County Domestic Violence Taskforce.
- approved an agreement with AT&T and NCTCOG for text-to-911 service;
- approved an agreement with two EMS classes requesting rotations for their students with the Wise County department;
- approved Monday as the designated meeting day for commissioners in fiscal year 2014;
- approved the county holiday schedule for fiscal year 2014;
- adopted the 2014 Wise County sheriff’s and contables’ fees;
- ratified a proclamation declaring Sept. 17-23 Constitution Week;
- accepted the following donations: $265.09 from Fred Tucker to Emergency Medical Services, $500 from Alvord Cemetery to Public Works, $500 from Arkansas Cemetery to Public Works and $469.80 from Cans for Canines to the Wise County Animal Shelter.