Chase ends in gunfire after trooper crashes into building

By Brandon Evans | Published Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Share this page...

A routine traffic stop late Monday morning turned into a half-hour, high-speed chase across Wise County that didn’t end until officers shot out the tires of the fleeing suspect.

The chase inadvertently caused a wreck miles away from the action as a Deparment of Public Safety state trooper crashed his patrol vehicle into a storage building in Boyd on his way to aid in the pursuit.

Chad E. Ervin

It all began when Chad E. Ervin, 26, of Springtown, refused to stop when a state trooper attempted to pull him over for speeding about 11:30 a.m. on U.S 287.

“The pursuit began in Sunset for a traffic violation,” said DPS spokesman Lonny Haschel. “The driver failed to stop for the highway patrol.”

The chase headed south on U.S. 287. Ervin then led law enforcement down Farm Road 51 and onto Texas 114 through Paradise, attempting to lose his pursuers by heading south onto rural roads before he turned north again to Texas 114 and heading west toward Bridgeport.

Highway Patrol officers eventually shot out the tires on Ervin’s vehicle as he was about one mile east of Bridgeport on Texas 114.

“The defendant stopped after his back tires were hit,” Haschel said. “There were no injuries or other property damage during the pursuit.”

Collateral Damage

COLLATERAL DAMAGE – Jim Lambert stands near what’s left of a sign that a state trooper hit in Boyd when he lost control of his cruiser and ran off the road. Messenger photo by Joe Duty

Ervin was arrested for attempting to evade arrest with a vehicle, unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon and possession of a prohibited weapon. He also had three outstanding warrants, including an assault charge out of Keller and a drug possession and traffic warrant out of Parker County.

As of Tuesday afternoon, he was being held in Wise County Jail under a $75,000 bond.

There were a couple of other passengers in the vehicle with Ervin, but no one else was charged.

Meanwhile, during the police chase, a state trooper was westbound on Texas 114, traveling through Boyd, on his way to get in front of Ervin and lay out a spike trap on the road. He never made it.

“The trooper was coming to assist and set up a spike system,” Haschel said. “He was coming through Boyd, going around a curve when he lost control, veered left into the oncoming lane of traffic and proceeded to crash through two signs and into a storage building.”

“The pursuit never came through Boyd,” said Boyd Police Chief Greg Arrington. “The officer ran over a culvert and into the storage building, but nobody was hurt.”

“I don’t know how it didn’t kill him,” said Sandy Lambert, who along with her husband, Jim, owns the storage building located in the 400 block of Rock Island Avenue.

After striking the culvert, the patrol vehicle plowed through two signs, one made of concrete-reinforced steel, before he crashed through a metal storage unit about 100 yards off the road. The unit he crashed into was full of items, including a tub, a collection of horseshoes and an air compressor.

“He’s lucky he’s alive,” Mr. Lambert said.

The road was slick with rainfall, which might have contributed to the crash. The DPS is still investigating the wreck, said Sgt. Lloyd McKinney with Decatur DPS office.

One Response to “Chase ends in gunfire after trooper crashes into building”

  1. I was at the stop light at Preskitt Rd and FM 51 when they blew through there. The suspect nearly “T” boned a car exiting the Casa Torres parking lot and probably would have had he not hit the brakes and swerved to miss the car. It was really close to being tragic.


Leave a Reply. Note: As of March 24, 2011, all posted comments will include the users full name. News and Blog Comment Guidelines

You must be logged in to post a comment.