The grand champion steer, exhibited by Ray Edwards with Paradise Jr. FFA, sold for $11,000 at the 2013 Youth Fair Auction at the Sheriff’s Posse Grounds Saturday.
The steer, named Freckles, topped the sale order of 129 lots, which totaled $236,100.
Twenty-two champion and reserve champion lots sold for $59,750, with 21 of those going to the Champions and Blue Ribbon Club.
The reserve champion steer, exhibited by Summer Miller of Decatur FFA, sold for $6,500. Bridgeport FFA member Lexi Read sold the grand champion market swine for $5,500, and the grand champion market lamb sold for $5,000. It was shown by Kenzie Cantrell of Chico FFA.
The grand champion market wether was exhibited by Miranda Dickens of Bridgeport FFA, and it also sold for $5,000. Hannah Hubbard with Decatur FFA got $1,250 for her grand champion broilers, and Daniel McCurdy with Decatur 4-H got $2,500 for the grand champion agricultural mechanics project.
Grand champion senior 4-H food was sold for $750 by Brian Stapleton with Chico 4-H, and Alvord FCCLA member Josh Malone sold his candy – the FCCLA all-level grand champion – for $750. The intermediate 4-H food champion was Fallon Sachse of Decatur 4-H. Her cake brought $750, as did the junior 4-H food champion, a cake made by Madelyn Causey of Alvord 4-H.
FCCLA Level 1 grand champion was a pie made by Makayla Perry of Alvord FCCLA, which brought $750. The Level II and Level III grand champions each brought $1,000 and were won by Joe Randall and Macy Pritchett, respectively. They’re both Alvord FCCLA members.
The grand champion horticulture project was exhibited by Brittney Hubbard of Decatur FFA and sold for $750.
Reserve champions and their sale prices include:
- Shelby Bradshaw, Paradise FFA, reserve champion swine, $4,500;
- Bryce Powers, Bridgeport Jr. FFA, reserve champion market lamb, $4,000;
- Chase Long, Chico FFA, reserve champion market wether, $4,000;
- Brady Quarles, Decatur 4-H, reserve champion broilers, $1,000;
- Sandra Young, Boyd FFA, reserve champion rabbit meat pen, $1,000;
- Alex Fitzherbert, Slidell FFA, reserve champion agricultural mechanics, $1,500; and
- Paris Walther, Decatur FFA, reserve champion horticulture, $500.
A complete list of results will be published in a special section in next week’s Messenger.