Welcome to Wise


Boyd woman accused of aiding Allen

By Brian Knox | Published Saturday, December 21, 2013

A Boyd woman was arrested Monday and charged with helping a man wanted for murder elude police.

Stephanie Taylor, 49, was arrested on a third-degree felony charge of hindering apprehension or prosecution in connection with the murder case against Garland Allen, who was arrested Dec. 2 near Boyd.

Police out of Altus, Okla., identified Allen as the suspect in the death of his ex-wife, Tracy Lynn Allen. The murder is believed to have taken place in May of 2011. Garland Allen most recently lived near Hillsboro, but when officers went to serve the murder warrant, he was not at his home.

The Wise County Sheriff’s Office received information that Allen might be at Taylor’s home on Private Road 4602 in Boyd. Officers went to the location on Dec. 2, but she was not home.

According to the arrest warrant affidavit filed by Investigator James Mayo, he called Taylor and asked that she return home. Taylor said she was shopping, and it would be about 20 minutes before she could be back.

The affidavit states that when Taylor arrived and spoke to Mayo, she admitted knowing Allen was wanted for murder and that Allen was with her when Mayo called. She began to give different locations where she dropped off Allen before meeting with police.

Mayo and other officers left to find Allen while a deputy remained with Taylor.

Taylor told an officer she found out Allen was wanted for murder when she went to Oklahoma for Thanksgiving. When she returned to her home on Nov. 29, she noticed Allen’s pickup in her driveway.

“Taylor said she became scared and hid his truck at the ‘metal shop next to the Chevron in Decatur,’” according to the affidavit. “Allen asked Taylor to take him to the Brazos River in Weatherford sometime thereafter.”

On Dec. 2, Taylor picked up Allen in Weatherford and brought him back to her home for a few hours. She then took Allen back to Weatherford, but they became scared when they saw several cars near where Allen had been staying so they turned around and came back to Boyd. It was during the return trip that Taylor received Mayo’s phone call.

“Rather than turning Allen over to deputies, she purchased Allen $50 worth of groceries and dropped him off at “Bobo’s Crossing,” prior to returning to her residence,” the affidavit states.

Allen was arrested for murder, and two days later he led investigators to a wooded area at the Tom Steed Reservoir near Altus, where he had buried his ex-wife’s body. Investigators dug and found skeletal remains at the location. Those remains have been sent to the State Medical Examiner’s office in Oklahoma for positive identification.

Allen remains in custody in Oklahoma. Taylor posted $15,000 bail and was released from the Wise County Jail Monday.

Leave a Reply. Note: As of March 24, 2011, all posted comments will include the users full name.

WCMessenger.com News and Blog Comment Guidelines

You must be logged in to post a comment.