Eligible high school graduates from public, private, or home-school in Parker and Wise counties are invited to apply for the 2013-2014 Texas Armed Services Scholarship.
The award, designed to assist promising students throughout the state who are committed to education and service, was announced this week by State Rep. Phil King (R-Weatherford).
The scholarship encourages young leaders to participate in the Texas Guard, Army National Guard or Air National Guard, or to become commissioned officers in the United States armed services. It will provide recipients with up to $10,000 per academic year for up to four years (out of the five years allowed for graduation).
It can be used for undergraduate study at any Texas university with an active ROTC program – a list that currently includes 32 public and private institutions.
To be eligible, a student must meet two of the following four academic criteria:
- Be on track to graduate high school in a Distinguished Achievement Program or International Baccalaureate program
- A GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Ranked in the top third of the graduating class
- SAT score of 1590 or ACT score of 23
To receive the scholarship, a student must:
n Be appointed by a state representative or state senator, or by the governor or lieutenant governor. (Each member of the Legislature may make one appointment to receive one of the first scholarships. The governor and lieutenant governor may make two appointments.)
- Enroll in an eligible Texas institution and an eligible ROTC program
- Commit in writing to:
- remain in ROTC for four years
- graduate within five years.
- enter Guard service or accept a commission with the armed services within six months of graduation from college.
- meet program physical fitness requirements.
“The opportunity to serve your state and your country in this capacity is truly a privilege and an honor,” said King. “I would encourage any student eligible for this scholarship to apply and take full advantage of the opportunities made available for those who serve.”
Residents of Parker or Wise counties who are interested are encouraged to send a cover letter, resume and any letters of recommendation in a packet via email or mail to Ashley Westenhover at email@example.com or State Rep. Phil King, c/o Ashley Westenhover, TASSP, Room CAP 1N.7, Capitol, P.O. Box 2910, Austin, TX 78768.
Applications are due Thursday, July 10.