Fifteen teams are participating in Wise County Extension’s Walk Across Texas, an eight-week, fun and fitness program for teams of up to eight people. The teams have a friendly competition to see who can log the most miles walking, jogging, biking, spinning, using a treadmill, swimming or through other physical activities. The purpose of the program is to have every person who participates take home a healthy habit – walking for fitness.
Our 2013 teams have really been busy. As a county group, we are more than a third of the way of walking around the world. As of April 11, walkers have logged 9,921 miles.
The top 10 teams and team captains are as follows:
- Greenwood Hoofers 2013, Janice Millican, 1,172 miles;
- Justice Junkies, Sendy Reynolds, 1,133 miles;
- The Youngsters, Amy White, 1,124 miles;
- School of Walk, Ronda Smith, 1,108 miles;
- Crazy Eights, Linda Arrington, 1,011 miles;
- Eager to Exercise, Dixie Range, 773 miles;
- Movin n Groovin, Dana Wood, 675 miles;
- Wise County 4-H, Morgan Barnes, 648 miles;
- Tornados, Belinda Sherman, 636 miles;
- City of Decatur, Jennifer Dorsett, 483 miles;
- Paradise ISD kindergarten, first, second and third grade teachers, 1,170 miles.
The top three individuals so far are Kevin Benton with 399 miles; Gloria Robbins with 299 miles; and Julie Greenfield with 283 miles.
To view all teams and their mileage logs, go to walkacrosstexas.tamu.edu then under quick links, click on “See Your Progress” and proceed through to Wise County 2013 mileage.
Tanya Davis is a Wise County Extension agent.