Welcome to Wise

NEWS HEADLINES

Charges against bomb threat suspect dropped

By Brian Knox | Published Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The Wise County District Attorney’s office has dropped charges against one of three girls arrested in connection with a bomb threat at Decatur High School last week.

The fate of the other two girls could be known as early as today.

District Attorney Greg Lowery confirmed Monday that charges were dropped on one of the juvenile students arrested Dec. 10. The three girls, who are not being identified because of their age, were accused of writing a bomb threat on a note and bringing it to school officials that afternoon.

Earlier in the day, the school had been evacuated for the second time in as many weeks when a bomb threat was discovered in a boys’ restroom.

Lowery said after reviewing the evidence, it appears that one of the girls may have been “duped” into bringing the fake note to school officials.

“After investigation by the juvenile probation department and the district attorney’s office, we determined she was an innocent third party,” Lowery said. “We believe … she had no malice or bad intentions.”

The girl was released from juvenile detention to a family member Monday. The other two girls were scheduled to be released yesterday, but charges of making a terroristic threat remain against them. The two were scheduled for a court appearance today.

The district attorney’s office is handling the case because terroristic threat is a third-degree felony offense.

Investigators are still trying to determine if the students who remain under arrest were responsible for the other two bomb threats or if more students were involved. The school has offered a $5,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for the threats.

Leave a Reply. Note: As of March 24, 2011, all posted comments will include the users full name.

WCMessenger.com News and Blog Comment Guidelines

You must be logged in to post a comment.