Wise Electric Cooperative provided eight $1,000 scholarships to co-op members and their children who are attending a Texas institution of higher education.
WEC is able to provide the scholarships because of Texas House Bill (HB) 3202. Enacted in 1997. This bill allows non-profit electric cooperatives to use unclaimed capital credit money to create scholarships.
The Wise Electric Board of Directors voted to begin awarding scholarships in 1999. Including the 2012 winners, WEC has awarded $122,465. A total of 42 scholarship applications were received this year, which were all reviewed to make sure they met the required minimum qualifications.
The 2012 Wise Electric scholarship recipients include the following:
- Taylor Stockard – Bowie High School
- Monica Huddleston – Forestburg High School
- Sierra Sharon – Forestburg High School
- Jackson Cunningham – Paradise High School
- Sarah Sanders – Boyd High School
- Richard Hardcopf – Boyd High School
- Trent Tate – Boyd High School
- Brooke Millican – Decatur High School