Here are the top six reasons to join a hockey league:
1. In the hot Texas sun, hockey is a “skin-safe” sport. It is played inside away from harmful UV rays and the ill effects of sun exposure.
2. Hockey is a game of skating and skill. Therefore, to be an effective player, athletes must speed skate and anticipate the movement of the puck. It requires endurance while teaching the angles of hit, ricochet and rebound.
3. Hockey is a family friendly sport. Boys and girls can play, as well as men and women. Leagues exist for children and adults. There’s even a league for the very “mature” called the Jerry Hatricks (geriatrics).
4. Players learn respect in the game of hockey. Teamwork is more important than the performance of an individual. In fact, it is impossible for an individual to play the game alone. Passing the puck for an assist is more important for the momentum of the game and its outcome than self-achievement.
5. Hockey is much less violent than many sports. For example, in football, the two lines clash on every play. Hockey is a very safe sport. The padding, helmets and face guards protect the players from almost any bruise. The same cannot be said for lacrosse, football and soccer.
6. Finally, our neighbors to the north, the Canadians, brought us the game in its purest form and share the character, camaraderie and civility they bring to the sport. Even small towns in Canada have beautiful rinks, cathedrals to the sport. These parents, as hockey parents everywhere, sacrifice their own luxuries, pleasures and comforts, and that sacrifice shows the depth of their love of the game.
For more information about hockey leagues and the possibility of building a rink in Wise County, please email Shane at email@example.com.