Woman arrested for bomb threat

By Brian Knox | Published Thursday, February 17, 2011
Tags: ,

Share this page...

A bomb threat caused the evacuation of the county courthouse in Decatur Monday morning and later led to the arrest of a Greenwood woman.

Decatur Police Chief Rex Hoskins said Shauna Lee Teague, who court records also list as having the last name of Gordon, 41, was arrested Monday afternoon for making a terroristic threat of a government entity.

Hoskins said a 911 call was received from a pay phone at Walmart around 9:30 Monday morning.

“A woman said her boyfriend was upset and had put a bomb in the Wise County Courthouse,” Hoskins said. “She refused to give his name or her name.”

Decatur police, Wise County Sheriff’s officers and the Decatur Fire Department evacuated the building and searched for a possible bomb.

Wise County Commissioners were meeting on the third floor when Sheriff David Walker was called out of the room. A few moments later, he came in and told everyone that they needed to leave the building due to a bomb threat. Once everyone was evacuated, officers began searching the entire building.

Courthouse employees, lawyers and citizens who were scheduled to appear in court stood on the sidewalks outside businesses on the square. A florist delivering Valentine’s Day flowers to the courthouse had to turn around when met by officers on the sidewalk outside the courthouse.

Around 10:30, the building was declared safe and everyone was allowed back inside.

While the search was going on, Hoskins said officers were sent to Walmart to try to figure out who made the bomb threat call. The officers were able to view surveillance video.

The video proved successful, and the suspect turned out to be very close.

“Through surveillance, we found a lady there [at Walmart] who was on the phone,” Hoskins said. “We watched her walk around the store, buy a drink, walk outside, get in a flat bed pickup and drive off as a passenger. We gave that information to our patrol officers, and we happened to find a pickup that matched the description parked at the courthouse.”

Around 11:15 a.m., a woman was found matching the clothing description, and she walked out of the building to the truck seen in the video. At that point, Hoskins said officers detained Teague.

Teague had been scheduled to be in district court that morning for a motion to proceed with adjudication.

According to district court records, Teague was indicted for credit card or debit card abuse and two counts of possession of a controlled substance by fraud in December of 2008. In April of 2009, she pleaded guilty to the charges in exchange for five years of deferred adjudication and five years of community supervision.

In February of 2010, court records indicate that Teague was indicted on two counts of forgery of a financial instrument. Two months later, prosecutors filed a motion to proceed with adjudication on the 2009 conviction. It was that motion that was expected to be resolved at Monday’s court hearing.

Terroristic threat of a government entity is a third degree felony, punishable by two to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000.

Leave a Reply. Note: As of March 24, 2011, all posted comments will include the users full name. News and Blog Comment Guidelines

You must be logged in to post a comment.