This week is the second in a series of seven articles that focuses on examples of how Wise County 4-Hers learned through their foods and nutrition projects to make their calories count more by including nutrient-rich foods in their diets.
Jodie Wells, a 17-year-old Slidell 4-Her recently received first place honors in the District 4-H Food Show in Vernon. Wells’ recipe for Chicken Salsa Tomato Cups was entered in the Senior Nutritious Snacks category and is packed full of nutrients like protein, vitamin C and vitamin A.
I hope you will try this nutritionally dense recipe during the holiday season.
CHICKEN SALSA TOMATO CUPS
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 8 green onions, chopped
- 2 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup prepackaged grilled chicken breast, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon mild olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 20 small tomatoes, seeded
Combine all ingredients except 20 small tomatoes. Stuff seeded tomatoes with chicken salsa. Garnish with remaining fresh parsley. Number of servings: 10.