Twenty three Wise County 4-H members representing Decatur, Chico, Slidell, Rabbit and Boyd 4-H Clubs vied for top honors at the 2011 Wise County 4-H Food Show Oct. 15 at the First Baptist Church in Decatur.
First place winners in each age division and class advance to the Rolling Plains District 4-H Food Show Saturday, Nov. 5, in Vernon.
Top winners for Wise County were:
- Clover Kids: Patience Wells, Decatur 4-H and Grant Barksdale, Chico 4-H
- Nutritious Snack – Joy Wells, first place, Decatur 4-H
- Fruit and Vegetable – Michaela Martin, first place, Chico 4-H
- Dessert – Bailey Keating, first place, Slidell 4-H; Charity Wells, second place, Decatur 4-H; Kooper Martin, third place, Chico 4-H
- Nutritious Snack – Fallon Sachse, first place, Decatur 4-H; Sydney Keating, second place, Slidell 4-H; Morgan Williams, third place, Chico 4-H
- Bread and Cereal – Ty Watson, first place, Decatur 4-H
- Fruit and Vegetable – Morgan Barnes, first place, Slidell 4-H; Lyndi Luttrull, second place, Decatur 4-H; Sarah Beaver, third place, Slidell 4-H
- Main Dish – Thaine Laaser, first place, Decatur 4-H; Lindsey Pena, second place, Rabbit 4-H
- Dessert – Lauryn Luttrull, first place, Decatur 4-H; Logan McNamara, second place, Chico 4-H
- Nutritious Snack – Jodie Wells, first place, Slidell 4-H
- Fruit and Vegetable – Christian Cross, first place, Boyd 4-H
- Bread and Cereal – Logan Moore, first place, Boyd 4-H; Marisol Millan, second place, Slidell 4-H
- Main Dish – Caitlin Pruett, first place, Slidell 4-H
4-Hers were interviewed by adult volunteer judges. The 4-Her had to explain the importance of the MyPlate guidelines, how they prepared their dish, principles of nutrition, food safety issues, leadership, community service and food and nutrition project activities. This year’s judges included Sam Dunlap, Stacey Daniel, Deana Silvers, Marilynn Collins and Shelly Laaser.
Cookbooks containing all recipes prepared for the County 4-H Food Show are on sale for $5 at Texas AgriLife Extension Service, Wise County office, 206 S. State Street, Suite A in Decatur.
4-H is open to all youth currently enrolled in third grade through 18 regardless of race, color, sex, religion, socio-economic level, disability or national origin. For additional information about joining 4-H, call the local Extension office at (940) 627-3341.