NEWS HEADLINES

Father’s Day fire ruins home

By Brandon Evans | Published Thursday, June 24, 2010
Tags:

PORCH FIRE - A fire destroyed the front porch, front door and caused extreme smoke damage to the inside of a home in Slidell Sunday night. Messenger photo by Joe Duty

A family was sitting down to enjoy a Father’s Day dinner when a fire broke out on the front porch of their home located in the 100 block of County Road 2723 in Slidell.

“We had just finished grilling on the back porch and were sitting down to eat,” said homeowner Johnny West. “We didn’t even know what had happened … This is no way to spend Father’s Day.”

Neighbors cooking out saw the fire and rushed over.

“I’d like to thank our neighbors for coming to get us,” said Kim West. “They probably saved our lives.”

The husband and wife, their four children and Johnny’s elderly father all escaped safely. They left behind a tiny chiweenie dog named Batman while fleeing from the burning trailer home. But Michael Yard, with the Greenwood/Slidell Volunteer Fire Department, rescued the dog from the back bedroom in the home.

The fire started around 8:30 p.m. They had it out within minutes.

“I’m thankful for the quick response by the fire department,” said Johnny West. “Usually when a trailer catches on fire it is a total loss.”

The fire was contained to the front porch and the front of the home, but heavy smoke damage might cause it to be considered a total loss.

They had just bought the home four months ago.

If anyone wants to help, they can call Kim West at (940) 390-3910.

Leave a Reply. Note: As of March 24, 2011, all posted comments will include the users full name.

WCMessenger.com News and Blog Comment Guidelines

You must be logged in to post a comment.